Struggling with hair loss, dry hair and other common hair problems? If so, continue reading to learn more about the benefits of aloe vera and coconut oil for optimal hair health and hair growth!
It is safe to say that aloe vera gel itself has a host of beneficial properties when it comes to promoting healthy hair and a healthy scalp. The aloe vera plant is a succulent that is native to the Arabian Peninsula, but is now cultivated all over the world.
The aloe vera gel can be easily extracted from its leaves, and has been widely used for both its medicinal and cosmetic properties since ancient history.
The key ingredients that promote the natural goodness of the aloe vera plant that aid in healthy hair growth and healthy scalp care are:
- Enzymes– Aloe vera contains proteolytic enzymes that help remove dead skin cells on the scalp. This creates a conducive environment for hair growth by unclogging hair follicles.
- Minerals– Aloe vera contains minerals like zinc and magnesium, which are essential for hair growth and overall scalp health.
- Vitamins– Aloe vera is a good source of vitamins, including:
- Vitamin A: Supports sebum production, necessary for a healthy scalp.
- Vitamin C: Boosts collagen production, aiding in hair growth.
- Vitamin E: Acts as an antioxidant, protecting hair from free radical damage.
- Fatty Acids– Aloe vera contains some fatty acids that contribute to its anti-inflammatory and moisturizing effects.
- Salicylic Acid– Aloe vera contains salicylic acid, which has mild exfoliating properties. It can help remove dead skin cells and excess oil from the scalp, promoting a healthier environment for hair growth.
- Antioxidants– Aloe vera contain many antioxidants, such as polyphenols, that protect the scalp and hair from oxidative stress and damage.
- Polysaccharides– These complex carbohydrates in aloe vera provide moisturizing properties, helping to hydrate the scalp and hair.
This post is all about aloe vera and coconut oil for hair.
What Are The Benefits Of Aloe Vera Gel For Hair?
Some of the key benefits of aloe vera gel include:
- Moisturizes the Scalp– Aloe vera gel has excellent moisturizing properties. Applying it to the scalp can help prevent dryness and flakiness, keeping the scalp hydrated.
- Conditions the hair– Aloe vera can act as a natural conditioner, leaving the hair smooth and shiny. It helps in detangling hair and reducing frizz.
- Helps To Balance PH Levels– Aloe vera helps maintain the pH balance of the hair, which is essential for healthy hair. Balanced pH levels can prevent excessive dryness or oil buildup.
- Reduces Scalp Irritation– Aloe vera has anti-inflammatory properties that can soothe an irritated scalp. It is particularly beneficial for individuals with sensitive or inflamed scalps.
- Helps To Prevent Hair Loss– Regular use of aloe vera on the scalp may help strengthen hair strands, reducing hair loss and promoting overall hair health.
- Reduces Dandruff– Aloe vera’s anti-fungal properties may help in reducing dandruff. It can soothe the scalp and alleviate itching, which are often associated with dandruff.
- Promotes Hair Growth– Aloe vera contains enzymes that can promote hair growth by removing dead skin cells from the scalp, creating an environment for healthy hair follicles.
What Are The Benefits Of Coconut Oil For Hair?
Coconut oil has been a long time used remedy to help restore scalp, hair and skin care. Here of some the key benefits of coconut oil for hair:
- Reduces Frizz and Split Ends– The moisturizing properties of coconut oil can help reduce frizz and split ends, making the hair appear smoother and healthier.
- Promotes Hair Growth– Coconut oil contains lauric acid, which has antimicrobial properties. A healthy scalp supports hair growth, and coconut oil may help maintain a clean and nourished scalp.
- Improves Scalp Health– Massaging coconut oil onto the scalp can improve blood circulation and provide essential nutrients, promoting overall scalp health.
- Strengthens Hair– Regular use of coconut oil can help strengthen the hair shaft, reducing the risk of breakage and split ends.
- Promotes Shine– Coconut oil can add a healthy shine to the hair, making it look lustrous and well-nourished.
What Are The Benefits Of Mixing Coconut Oil With Aloe Vera Gel?
Even though aloe vera gel is a an insanely great remedy for a hair care routine, the combination of aloe vera mixed with coconut oil will make it a powerhouse remedy to your hair and scalp.
Here are some of the key amazing benefits that happen when you combine aloe vera and coconut oil together for a hair routine:
- Deep Conditions– Coconut oil is an excellent natural conditioner, and when mixed with aloe vera gel, it creates a deeply moisturizing hair treatment filled with amino acids that help to strengthen the hair. For a list of other great deep conditioners for low porosity hair, click here.
- Reduces Seborrheic Dermatitis– The anti-fungal properties and moisturizing properties of both coconut oil and aloe vera make them effective in reducing dandruff and soothing an itchy scalp while helping to remove dead skin cells.
- Aids In Hair Growth– Aloe vera has enzymes that promote a healthy scalp, while coconut oil’s nourishing properties can contribute to overall hair health, potentially aiding in hair growth. Since both are packed with antibacterial and antimicrobial properties, you will notice how much healthier your hair grows in too.
How Do You Use Coconut and Aloe Vera On Your Hair?
The benefits of using aloe vera and coconut oil on your hair can be phenomenal with consistent use. Here are some quick and easy ways to use it on your hair and scalp!
Aloe Vera And Coconut Oil Hair Mask: How To Step By Step Guide
How Much Coconut Oil To Mix Wit Aloe Vera?
- 2 tablespoons of virgin coconut oil (organic, unrefined recommended)
- 2 tablespoons of fresh aloe vera gel (you can extract it from an aloe vera leaf or use store-bought gel) or use organic aloe vera juice instead but it will be runny.
- Optional: a few drops of essential oil for fragrance (e.g., lavender, rosemary)
Instructions On How To Use:
- If you are using a fresh aloe vera leaf, carefully open and scoop out the gel using a spoon. If using store-bought gel, make sure it’s pure aloe vera without any added chemicals.
- In a bowl, combine the coconut oil and aloe vera gel. Stir well to ensure they are thoroughly mixed.
- Add a few drops of your preferred essential oil (optional) for fragrance. Essential oils like lavender or rosemary are popular choices.
- Section your hair and apply the mixture evenly from roots to tips. Massage it into your scalp to promote circulation.
- Once applied, cover your hair with a shower cap or a warm towel. Leave the mask on for at least 30 minutes to allow the ingredients to penetrate the hair shaft.
- After the waiting period, shampoo your hair as usual to remove the mask. You may need to shampoo twice to ensure all the oil is washed out.
- If your hair tends to be dry, you can follow up with a small amount of conditioner, focusing on the ends.
How Often Should I Use Aloe Vera And Coconut For Best Results?
- Use this hair mask once a week or as needed based on your hair’s condition.
- Adjust the frequency according to your hair type and/or the climate in your area.
Remember to perform a patch test before applying any new mixture to a large area of skin or hair, especially if you have sensitive skin or allergies. Please be sure to use pure and natural forms of both coconut oil and aloe vera gel for the best results.
This post was all about aloe vera and coconut oil for hair.
More In Hair Growth: