Feeling like your hair has reached it’s growth plateau? Unlock your hair’s potential by discovering the amazing benefits of coconut oil for hair growth and get your hair growing and healthier than ever before!
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS, WHICH MEANS I’LL RECEIVE A COMMISSION IF YOU PURCHASE THROUGH MY LINK, AT NO EXTRA COST TO YOU.
This post is all about how to use coconut oil for hair growth and thickness
Benefits Of Coconut Oil For Natural Hair
Coconut oil has been used in the beauty industry for centuries and is considered to be one of the very best natural ingredients you can put on your hair and skin, with a higher composition of Vitamin E than most oils. This oil is unique in that it helps to reduce and prevent protein loss in the hair strands when applied before or after the shampoo process. Coconut oil is predominantly made up of special fats called medium chain fatty acids, which have the ability to better absorb into the hair strand/skin compared to any other oil due to its simple, long and straight structural composition at a molecular level. This oil actually penetrates the hair and scalp as opposed to just coating the strands and weighing it down (unless you use too much of it of course).
This powerhouse of an oil was known to be the staple ingredient in health and beauty products, dating as far back as ancient times more than 4,000 years ago and is also recognized for it’s ayurvedic properties due to its natural healing abilities. Coconut oil has long been praised for it’s antifungal and antibacterial properties, which makes it ideal in the treatment of ailments affecting the skin and scalp. The high fat content in coconut oil helps to keep hair strong, healthy and reduce breakage.
When applied to the hair, coconut oil prevents the wear and tear of the strands caused by over-styling and/or manipulation and reduces it’s protein loss. When this happens, you are likely to see a decrease in breakage, a decrease in split ends and way less tangles. After some time, you will notice that your hair is growing not because the coconut oil is actually growing your hair, but because you are now gaining the ability to retain length! When the hair is breaking off at a rate slower than it’s growing, the hair appears to grow faster.
Does Coconut Oil Help Thicken Your Hair?
Yes indeed! Coconut oil will help to thicken your hair over time after prolonged use because of its Vitamin E and Fatty Acid content. These Fatty Acids in particular help to nourish and treat the hair and scalp when used consistently, especially due to the fact that this component aids in the removal of sebum build-up on the hair follicles and strands. When there is not a lot of build up on the scalp, the hair can actually grow without interruption.
Some other key coconut oil benefits for the scalp include:
- Helps to fight dandruff and other fungal infections
- Calms scalp irritation
- Promotes shine
- Great detangler as a pre-poo treatment
- Helps to treat split ends
- Protects hair from UV radiation
- Can help prevent heat damage when used during deep condition phase before heat styling
Which Coconut Oil Should I Use? Refined vs. Unrefined
With so many different brands of coconut oil to choose from, it can be understandably overwhelming to know which one to purchase. The best version of coconut oil for your hair and skin is going to be the organic and unrefined versions. If you purchase the refined version, that means that all the impurities from the coconut oil have been removed during the filtering process and that includes a lot of its nutrients that are beneficial to the hair and scalp as well.
How To Use Coconut Oil For Hair Growth and Thickness
- Use coconut oil as a pre-poo– Apply the coconut oil sparingly to hair from root to tip before you start the shampoo process. This will help tremendously with detangling and help to avoid rough handling and breakage.
- Add coconut oil to your conditioner/deep conditioner– this will help to add extra slip and shine to your natural hair once rinsed out.
Deep Coconut Oil Hair Mask Treatment
- After washing hair, section into four parts or more
- Apply coconut oil to hair from root to tip and use detangling brush to ensure even application
- Place plastic cap on hair and sit under hooded dryer for 15 minutes
- Rinse out. Use a dime size amount of shampoo/cleansing conditioner if hair feels greasy after rinsing with water
Hot Oil Scalp Treatment
- In an applicator bottle, add some coconut oil and place that bottle in a bowl of warm/hot water. Allow the oil to warm up for 5-10minutes.
- Section hair and apply directly to scalp liberally and down hair strands before or after shampooing
- Place plastic cap on hair and sit under hooded dryer for 10min.
- Gently rinse/wash out using a mild shampoo/cleansing conditioner to remove excess oil
Targeted Hair Loss Remedy: What To Mix With Coconut Oil For Hair Growth
Although coconut oil for natural hair can be used on it’s very own, you can certainly turn this oil into even more of a power house by adding a little Jamaican Black Castor Oil (JBCO) to the mix! Simply combine one part coconut oil with one part JBCO. Mix it well and apply it to affected areas 4x per week or more. Do not rinse out until wash day.
Comment below your favorite way to use coconut oil in you hair below!
This post was all about how to use coconut oil for hair growth and thickness.
Other Posts You May Like: