Looking for the best deep conditioners for 4c hair? Here are 10 great deep conditioner options.
What Makes 4c Hair Texture So Unique?
4c hair texture is known as the tightest curl pattern of all the curl types. The strands are typically shaped in a tightly packed, spring like coil or z pattern. Because type 4c textured hair is so tightly compact in all of its glory, it tends to portray the most shrinkage out of all hair types and can exhibit more vulnerability to dryness as a result. Keeping this texture moisturized and lubricated is essential in maintaining the health and integrity of the strands, as excessive dryness can eventually lead to significant breakage overtime.
Benefits of Deep Conditioning
Let’s start with learning exactly what deep conditioning is. Deep conditioning is the process of using a cream based product that is specifically indicated to penetrate the hair strands, rather than just coat them. Using a deep conditioner that is activated by heat for 20-30min increases the intake of the product into the hair strands, by opening up the pores on the hair to allow maximum penetration of the product into the hair. You can choose to use a hooded cap, hooded dryer or a steamer for indirect heating options when using your favorite deep conditioning treatment or hair mask.
How Often Should I Deep Condition My Hair?
Depending on how dry your hair is, you want to start off with trying to deep condition at least once per week. If your hair shows no signs of breakage, dryness or loss of elasticity, you should be okay with deep conditioning 2-4 times per month. Pay attention to your hair and be mindful to clarify your hair of any product buildup, so that your deep conditioner is not being blocked by product buildup on the strands and can work at its maximum potential.
Can I Sleep With Deep Conditioner In Overnight?
It is highly recommended to avoid sleeping with your deep conditioner in your hair overnight, even though it can be very tempting with severely dry hair. Using a deep conditioner that goes beyond its labeled recommended instructions, puts your 4c hair at risk for damage. The damage can appear in the form known as hygral fatigue, which is when too much moisture is penetrating the hair shaft. You might start to notice over time that your 4c hair feels limp, gummy or weak to the touch. If you have used a protein based deep conditioner and kept it in overnight, you can experience protein overload which results in the hair feeling straw like over time and make the hair prone to breakage. Follow the directions on the label and you should have no issues. Remember that the amount of time that is recommended on a deep conditioner is an indication of the maximum time for active penetration of the product into the hair shaft. Anything after that recommended time frame, will be the product just sitting on/in the hair with no real purpose.
This post is all about the best deep conditioners for 4c hair.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you.
1. Camille Rose Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
- Packed with vitamins for intense moisture
- A strengthening treatment containing blue green algae
- Contains mango butter which aids in locking and sealing in the moisture
2. Alodia Deep Conditioning Masque
- Contains peppermint oil (a natural antiseptic) which helps to restore balance to dry and itchy scalp
- Contains honey, avocado and silk amino acids to restore moisture and strengthen hair
- 100% organic and Nut Free
3. Mielle Organics Babassu & Mint Deep Conditioner
- Packed with fatty acids and natural oils from the Amazonian palm fruit Babassu
- Helps to effectively replenish dry and damaged hair
- Contains both moisturized and protein ingredients for an all in one powerful combo treatment
4. Mielle Organics Mongongo Oil Hydrating Conditioner
- Protein Free
- Contains Saharan African Mongongo Oil which helps to maintain intense, long lasting hydration
- Leaves hair soft and silky after use
5. Carol’s Daughter Coco Creme Curl Quenching Moisture Mask
- Provides a buttery dose of hydration to significantly dry hair stands
- Contains Mango butter, Shea butter and Coconut oil which aids in less breakage, increased length retention and healthier hair
- Leaves hair stronger, shinier and amazingly soft
6. TGIN Honey Miracle Mask
- Contains honey which helps to reduce shedding and breakage
- Honey is also a natural humectant which helps to keep hair moisturized
- Packed with a powerhouse of oils such as Olive and Jojoba to help lock in the moisture and promote shine
7. As I Am Hydration Elation Intensive Conditioner
- Moisturizes hair shaft from the inside out
- Effectively smooths cuticle layer
- Strengthens damaged or weakened hair
8. Oyin Handmade What The Hemp Deep Conditioner Moisture Mask
- Contains Hempseed oil to hep strengthen and nourish strands
- Organic Hempseed oil and raw shea butter contain fatty acids that penetrates the hair shaft and acts a protective barrier
- Melts all tangles away
9. Briogeo Don’t Despair Repair Hair Mask
- Clinically proven to strengthen damaged hair
- Shown to decrease hair breakage after 2 uses
- Helps to improve hair strength, silkiness, shine and elasticity of hair
10. The Mane Choice Ancient Egyptian Anti-Breakage & Repair Antidote Hair Mask
- Significantly helps to reduce frizz
- Loaded with fatty acids Omega 3, 6 and 9
- Intensely penetrates all layers of the hair shaft
Comment below if you have tried any of these deep conditioners on your 4c hair!
This post was all about the best deep conditioners for 4c hair.
Other Posts You May Like: